Well, now I know what those parents feel like on those LONG cross-country flights with their baby crying the whole time. You know the ones--they have this mortified look on their faces as their kid is screaming. Elana actually screamed for 4 of the 5 hours of our flight from Seattle to Newark. We aren't talking about a few tears here and there--I am talking about blood-curdling, turning-beat-red, hyperventilated crying. NOTHING would sooth her. We had packed a whole bunch of tricks in our carry-on, all of the normal things that make Elana happy, but she continued to be inconsolable throughout the whole flight. I know she was really exhausted and couldn't get to sleep on the plane hardly at all, which didn't help matters. When we aren't traveling and she misses a nap, she doesn't lose it like that. Do any mamas out there have any ideas/suggestions for the trip back? I am fretting about getting back on an airplane in a week.
Here is a picture of Elana after she passed out at midnight when we finally got home:
9 comments:
Poor Elana. Poor parents. Try to stay calm. The trip back may be entirely different from the trip out. Did you try walking up and down the aisle? I've seen parents as you described, doing that with great success. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do. (The sound is muffled between the seats. It's much louder where you are. I find seat kicking far more disturbing than crying.)
On a completely different subject, the monkey in the crib with Elana looks like the same one I show her every week when we video chat.
awwww poor baby :(
Since I have no kids....no advice sorry lol
The first thing that comes to mind is what i have experienced myself - when i have felt like screaming and crying the whole entire time i am on a plane - ear pain from the pressure change. Did you give her beverages and or food on the way up to help with swallowing? Did she end up having a cold? That sort of crying sounds to me like she was in pain. Email or call me if you want to talk it through. Sounds really stressful and awful. Sorry to hear you had a tough time. :(
Yeah we tried to give her water in a sippy cup AND her bottle, but she would only take it for a few minutes before pushing it away and screaming again. now we are discussing the use of benadryl to help her sleep (many people have suggested it), but we aren't sure we like the idea of medicating her when she isn't sick. i am so desperate i am considering it!!!
I would call her ped to discuss meds. Maybe just some motrin would help. I just don't know why she would have cried for so long if not from pain - she's too easy going otherwise.
I'm not sure how many teeth she has but if you have something slightly chewy, that might help, kind of like they tell adults to chew gum if their ears stop up. We gave Max some organic gummi bear-type things for the takeoff and landing. He loved them, of course, and maybe they helped his ears because he didn't cry at all on our last trip to Texas. Our ped didn't recommend benadryl but also said that it couldn't really hurt either.
Oh no!! so sorry you guys! Hopefully, she'll be better on the way back. wish I had advice, but I will pay attention for my future trips. Good luck!
I somehow came to your blog post??
but since I have flown with my daughter many times I thought I would post a comment I hope you don't mind...
My daughters ENT suggested that we give her Motrin 20-30 minutes before takeoff to help with any ear pain that she could have from the pressure changes. We also gave her a bottle on take of and landing swallowing helps your ears equalize. If she is not on the bottle breast feeding then a straw, chew snacks help. My daughter loves lollipops and now that she is older we give her one of those while take of climbing and descending/landing. It is easier to get her interested in a lollipop then in water or milk:) They have sugar free ones so they don't become too riled up on the plane from sugar. there are yummy organic ones but I have found those to be sharp and cut her mouth.. not fun!
We pack lots of toys and bring new toys that she has yet to see until the plane, DVD player but you have to have headphones and ones that will fit and that your child will use..we have not found a good pair for our daughter yet.
WE have flown many times and every flight has been different. there is so much going on you know lots of stimuli changes in schedules new faces sounds and ect. if she does cry again just be brave ignore anyone who is rude about it. Most people have been in hard situations and they can relate in some way. I would try the Motrin maybe call the DR or talk with a pharmacist if your concerned also they will probably have some good tips too
~wyndi
www.allthingsizzy.blogspot.com
thanks for the suggestions everyone! we went to the ped here in CT yesterday to see if she had an ear infection, but she does not. we are going to try teething tablets and maybe a sugar free loli. i think this time we will also give her baby tylenol BEFORE takeoff rather than once she has begun crying. that might help. i will let you know how it goes!
Post a Comment